Minutes of the April 19, 2016 meeting.

Meeting opened at 6:30 pm.

Present were Rebecca Cook, Ennis Duling, Nancy Luzer, Jean Roberts and Bruce Williams.

The building project is foremost in our minds as we are very close to being able to break ground. However, the USDA is frustrating our efforts by asking for more documentation before they award us our grant and bond monies. This has pushed the deadline of the accepted contractor perilously close to the end of the agreed time frame of the contract. Although we feel the contractor won’t withdraw, he will not be obligated to keep to the bid he agreed upon, and could cost us much more money. In an effort to stop this from happening, Bruce and Ennis will talk to Jonas and see if he thinks contacting Congressman Peter Welch would help us get the USDA to release the money in time to honor the accepted contract.

Inventory is finished. There were 13 items on the shelf that the staff did not know about, 55 with a bad barcode, and 1190 items missing. After Rebecca went through all 1190 records and corrected them (some were discards that didn’t get totally cleaned out, some were miss-scanned, etc) the finally tally was 48 juvenile and 77 adult items actually missing. She will try to do inventory every year, perhaps in late January or early February.

Summer reading programs are all set. Grant monies were used to hire many programs, taking the burden off of the librarians for this summer.

The minutes of the last meeting were read and accepted.

Patty McCoy accepted our check from the Cultural Facilities folk. They were very pleased to have her do so, and so were we.

The Mandarin change over went smoothly. The security cameras are up and running and connected to the internet so that Rebecca can access them remotely.

The Tick program was attended by about 40 people. Although the speaker was half an hour late, no one left. Rebecca is thinking of asking veterinarian Scott MacLachlan to come and give a talk from his point of view about ticks, as it differs from this speaker.

The general account was passed out. Everything looked good there, as did the special account. Rebecca wants to save most of the memorial money given in memory of Mary Mazur to use towards a new children’s computer similar to the one in the children’s room, only geared for an older age group.

Statistics show everything up. Invested funds look good.

Rebecca has been investigating how to store Sonya Hughes’ quilts while we are under construction. She has found archival materials with which to do so, however they will cost about $400. Jean R. made a motion, which Nancy seconded to allow Rebecca to purchase these items. All were in favor. Rebecca hopes to have Denise photograph the quilts in their entirety and also each square, and the Wonderland squares with an eye to making a booklet of them. They are also thinking of contacting her son David to see if he has photos of any of her other quilts, and stories about her quilting.

In regard to the practical part of buying the new furnishings for the library once construction is under way, the librarians will pick out what they are interested in and send the links to all the trustees. The board can then look at the choices without having to convene each time, emailing our opinions instead.

Book sorting procedures were handed out. Nancy is going to co-ordinate trustees and times to start sorting and packing donations. Book sale is July 2 this year.

Next meeting is July 19, 2016.

Meeting adjourned at 7:25. pm

Respectfully submitted,

Jean Roberts