January 17, 2017

Present:  Jean Davis, Ennis Duling, Nancy Luzer, Bruce Williams, Librarian Rebecca Cook

Absent:  Jean Roberts

The meeting was called to order at 6:36pm.

The minutes of the December 6, 2016 meeting were read and two corrections were made. The library gave a gift certificate to Michael Duval. The word Policy was added to the phrase about the Programming Room. The minutes were accepted as corrected.

Sean Sheehe has been slow on the slate floors. He gave a quote of $925 for the bathroom. This includes pulling the toilet and trim and putting them back. The vestibule will not be done until the new front door is hung. The programming room curtain has come and has been hung. It works well.

Jean Davis is up for reelection. Bruce Williams and Rebecca Cook will go to Town Meeting. Of course, the other trustees are invited.

Rebecca handed out the General Account figures. All the lines look good for this time of year except for the building maintenance line, which is low. It is low because when the construction was nearing its end a lot of little things came up, and Jonas Rosenthal told Rebecca that the library could pick up those things.

Rebecca handed out the Special Account figures. The donations totaled $7460. $5000 was the Maslack donation. The Czar Memorial totaled $970. The Castleton Lions Club donated $300 for large print books.

A piece of the door counter has gone missing. Unfortunately we cannot replace just the part. Rebecca will continue to look for it. Jean D. moved that we allow Rebecca to purchase either 1 or 2 door sensors (1 for the front door and another for the new side door). Ennis seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.

Following up on the Programming Room Policy, Rebecca has had several people ask if nonprofits are allowed to use the room for fundraising. After some discussion we decided that yes, nonprofits could use the Programming Room for fundraising, but it would be at the discretion of the Librarian. Ennis moved to accept the Programming Policy as amended concerning nonprofits. Jean D. seconded. The motion was approved unanimously.

The Grand Re-opening will be held Sunday afternoon, January 29, 2-5pm. Rebecca would like to close the library at 1pm on Friday, the 27th. Also she would like the library to be closed on Saturday, the 28th in order for the librarians to clean and prepare for the Grand Re-opening. Rebecca will advertise the amended hours.

Rebecca has contacted various media for announcing our Grand Re-opening. Daphne’s nephew, Mat Foley, and Mat’s friend, Chris LaPointe will play in their band, Loose Monkeys for the event. We will pay them $200. Rebecca has invited Daphne. Joe Capron made 2 slate plaques, one for the Daphne Bartholomew Children’s Room and another for the Rosenthal Room. Martha Reid, State Librarian, will be coming to our Grand Re-opening. Other speakers will be Jonas, Bruce, and Rebecca. We will cut the ribbon at 2pm then come inside for a brief program. Rebecca has spoken with several caterers and has a ballpark figure of $8-$10 per person. Feastivities will provide hot and cold hors d’oevres. Jean D. moved to allow Rebecca to have the event catered for 200 people, with the cost not to exceed $10 per person. Nancy seconded the motion. It was approved unanimously.

We will keep the money jar on the library desk for a while because we don’t know how much the new door will cost.

DOL has asked the library to host the videoconferencing for an education event.

The Rutland County librarians had a meeting here last week, and Rebecca gave them a tour of the building.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:29 pm. The next meeting will be April 18, 2017.

Respectfully submitted,

Nancy Luzer