Poultney Public Library Internet and Wireless Access Policy
The Poultney Public Library provides free public access to the Internet as a means of conducting research, retrieving information, exploring ideas and facilitating communication. Library users should, however, be aware that:
- The Internet is an open system, and as such contains information and images that may be inaccurate, out-of-date, illegal, offensive or disturbing. Library users are the final selectors in using the Internet and are responsible for their individual choices and decisions.
- The Library is a public place shared by persons of all ages and backgrounds. Computer users should be aware that what they are viewing may be visible to others.
- Wireless connections are not secure. Caution should be exercised in transmitting personal information.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for any losses, claims, damages or liabilities directly or indirectly related to the use of its public access computers.
USE BY MINORS
As with all library resources, the Library affirms the right and responsibility of parents/guardians, NOT Library staff, to determine and monitor their minor children’s use of the Internet. While Library staff may use online resources in answering a query from a patron of any age, children under 16 must have a parent or guardian present if they wish to use the public access computer.
Minors should not give others private information about themselves or others, including names, addresses, phone numbers, credit card and social security numbers; or to arrange face-to-face meetings with people they have “met” on the computer network or Internet without a parent’s permission.
CONDITIONS OF USE
Individuals are expected to:
- Use the Internet in a manner that is civil, courteous, lawful, and ethical
- Make no attempt to damage, alter, or degrade the computer equipment, peripherals, software, or settings.
- Respect the privacy of others
- Avoid compromising the safety and security of minors when using electronic mail and other forms of direct electronic communications
- Playing audio equipment so that others can hear is not allowed. Headphones are available at the circulation desk.
- Limit their session to 30 minutes. Extensions may be granted if no one is waiting.
- Promptly pay for any printing at a rate of $0.10 per page. The user is responsible for compliance with copyright law.
Unacceptable uses of Library computers include, but are not limited to the following:
- Violation of computer system integrity.
- Unauthorized tampering with computer hardware or software.
- Violation of software license agreements or copyright laws.
- Conducting illegal activity of any kind.
- Violation of another user’s privacy.
- Compromising the safety and security of others or the property of others.
Illegal acts involving Library computing resources may also be subject to prosecution by local, state, or federal authorities.
The Library reserves the right to terminate an Internet session that disrupts library services or in the event that a user violates Library policy. Users who violate these guidelines or other rules of the Library, as determined by Library staff, may have their privileges revoked.
The Library believes this policy to be in compliance with the requirements of the Neighborhood Children’s Internet Protection Act.
WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS
The Poultney Public Library provides open and unfiltered wireless access for public internet use free of charge. Those taking advantage of this service should be aware that:
- Wireless access is provided as a public service free of charge on an as-is basis with no guarantee and no warranty. The Library’s wireless network is subject to periodic maintenance and unforeseen downtime.
- Wireless connections are not secure. Users should exercise caution in transmitting personal information.
- All Library Wi-Fi users should have up-to-date antivirus software installed on their computers/devices.
- Library staff may not be able to provide help with patron laptops. The Library does not guarantee that your device will work with the wireless access.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment; users must keep their equipment with them at all times.
- In using this free Internet access, users agree and hereby release, indemnify, and hold harmless, the Library, its officers and employees, and any affiliate, from any damage that may result from a patron’s use of the Library’s wireless access. While using this wireless access, users acknowledge that they are subject to, and agree to abide by all laws, and all rules and regulations of the Town of Poultney, the State of Vermont, and the federal government that is applicable to Internet use.
- Library printers are not available via the wireless connection.
- Use of the wireless access is entirely at the risk of the user. The Library is not responsible for any information that is compromised, or for any damage caused to hardware or software.
- At its sole discretion, the Library may terminate this public service at any time without prior notice.
Revised by the Board of Trustees of the Poultney Public Library at a duly warned open meeting. October 15, 2013